- You paid for a veteran’s burial or funeral; and
- You were not reimbursed by another government agency or some other source such as the deceased veteran’s employer; and
- The veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
- The veteran died because of a service-related disability;
- The veteran was either receiving or entitled to receive a VA pension or compensation at the time of death;
- The veteran died in a VA hospital or in a nursing home under VA contract.
For non service-related deaths, the VA pays up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $700 plot/interment allowance. If the death happened while the veteran was hospitalized by the VA, they will pay up to $700 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $700 plot/interment allowance (if not buried in a national cemetery).
To apply complete VA Form 21P-530, Application for Burial Allowance. You must apply within two years of death and will need a copy of the deceased’s military discharge (DD 214 or similar), death certificate and paid in full funeral and burial bills.